The Arbo-France network was created in February 2019 to improve preparedness and response to epidemics/epizootics of human and animal arboviruses in metropolitan France and its overseas territories. It is placed under the aegis of ANRS – Emerging Infectious Diseases (ANRS-MIE).
The objectives of the network are to:
- Provide an alert function to the ANRS-MIE
- Contribute to scientific excellence by promoting an integrated One Health approach
- Strengthen the structuring and integration of arbovirology projects in France
- Contribute to the preparedness plan for French research in arbovirology
- Actively promote behavioral and social dimensions in research projects
Since its creation, Arbo-France has successfully initiated and supported numerous initiatives, notably via the animation of a multidisciplinary network currently made up of more than 150 experts in metropolitan France, in the overseas territories, and elswhere.
The Strategic Orientation Committee of Arbo-France began by assessing the strengths and weaknesses of French surveillance and research in arbovirology (metropolitan France & overseas territories), followed by an in-depth assessment of needs and future strategy. Seven priorities were identified.